Every product manager has a unique way of thinking, approaching situations, and solving complex problems.
These unique ways are usually referred to as mental models.
What is a mental model
Mental models are a set of beliefs, processes, and systems that we consciously or subconsciously use to simplify and understand the world.
A simple way to think of mental models is:
- We consume information from the world
- We process that information
- Finally, we create an output, decision, or action based on the information.
It is during step 2 that people generally apply the mental models they know.
I recently wrote a detailed guide on mental models. I shared a detailed definition and the most commonly used mental models. To write that article, I consumed a lot of resources and videos. And here is a list of the top resources on Mental Models
10 resources to understand everything about Mental Models
1. The Great Mental Models [Book] by Shane Parrish of Farnam Street
2. Thinking Fast and Slow [Book] by Daniel Kahneman
3. Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion [Book] by Dr. Robert Cialdini
4. Super Thinking: Upgrade Your Reasoning and Make Better Decisions with Mental Models [Book] by Gabriel Weinberg (DuckDuckGo)
5. Mental Models: The Best Way to Make Intelligent Decisions (~100 Models Explained) [Article] by Shane Parrish
6. List of top mental models [Article] by James Clear
7. What are mental models? [Article] by Julian Shapiro
8. 9 Mental Models You Can Use to Think Like a Genius [Video] (12 mins) by Farnam Street
9. 30 mental models to add to your thinking toolbox [Video] (7 mins) by Anne-Laure Le Cunff (Ness Labs)
10. Mental Models 101 - How To Make Better Decisions [Video] (75 mins) by George Mack