TLDR: Every interviewee should have meaningful product management interview questions to ask the interviewer at the end. I recommend preparing 2-3 questions related to each of the below categories.
- Career growth
One of the most overlooked product management interview preparation tactics is to prepare meaningful questions to ask the interviewer at the end.
Don't know what to ask?
A list of 40 product management interview questions to ask the interviewer
Company related questions
- What are some of the bigger challenges the company's working on?
- How are you solving the challenges?
- What is the 2-5-10 year vision of the company?
- Given the recent announcement about XYZ, what is the company now doing?
- Can you talk about the high level hiring plans of the company/team? How many people are you looking to hire in the next 6 months?
Role related questions
- What will be the main responsibilities in this role?
- Can you define what will make a person successful in this role?
- What experience or knowledge will make me a better fit for this role?
- Who are the most important stakeholders for this role?
- What are the challenges associated with this role?
- Can you describe some of the goals that this person will be responsible for?
Team related questions
- 12. What is the team size and structure?
- What are the team goals? How do they translate to company level goals?
- Are there any plans on changing the team structure?
- Other than meeting KPIs, what are some qualities needed for the team to be successful?
Product related questions
- Can you tell me more about ABC product? What goals do you have?
- Can you talk about how the product has grown in the last 3 years, and what are the plans for the next 1-2-5 years?
- What is the biggest challenge you're facing with growing the product?
Liking this post? Get the next one in your inbox!
Engineering related questions
- How do product managers typically work with engineers?
- How are the responsibilities divided?
- What is a typical PM-EM relation look like?
- What is a typical engineering team size and team composition?
- Can you talk about some of the biggest challenges/advantages of the way you setup pm-engineering relationships?
- What is the hierarchy of the engineering team, and how does it merge with product hierarchy?
- How do engineering teams contribute to the larger team goals?
- What process and frameworks does the engineering team use to set goals and measure success?
- How does the team typically think of and handle tech debt? Can you share some examples from the past?
Culture related questions
- Can you walk me through the yearly goal setting process, and help me understand how product manager is a part of it?
- How do PMs typically share their ideas with senior leaders?
- How would a PM typically pitch an innovative idea and get investment?
- What are the most important values that the entire company holds very close to their heart?
- What initiatives does the company/team take to help product managers learn in/outside of work?
- Can you describe a typical PM-Sales team relationship?
- What is the typical mode of communication in the team/company? Do you prefer emails/docs/face to face meetings?
- How many meetings does a PM have in a typical week?
- Who typically talks to customers/users? How often does that happen?
- How are issues/delays typically reported?
- Which stakeholders are usually involved? Who has the final say?
Career growth related questions
- Can employees speak at/attend conferences?
- Can you walk me through what a typical career ladder looks like for this role?
That's all for the day. Don't forget to follow me on Twitter for more product management knowledge.